Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Honey Mochi Cake: 1 Hour Recipe


I was inspired to try Wilton Candy Melts by a honeycomb cake recipe pin from Tastemade.
Instead of following the Tastemade honeycomb cake recipe, I used the candy honeycomb to decorate a mochi cake that I baked using Trader Joe’s Mochi Cake Mix. While the cake was baking (45 minutes), I prepped the candy.
Total time to bake the cake and make the candy was right around an hour. This is great to prep ahead of time and assemble later in the day.

Yellow Candy Melts

Following the instructions on the package, I heated half a bag of candy melts in the microwave on the defrost setting, removing the bowl to stir the melts in 30 second increments. When the candy was smooth, I poured it on bubble wrap and used a spoon to even out the layer. After waiting for the candy to cool, I gently removed the wrap to reveal a honeycomb pattern.

Honeycomb magic!

If you’re new to making candy, I definitely recommend the candy melts - it was easy and turned out exactly like I hoped. I was worried about the flavor, but it tastes similar to a white chocolate. I probably wouldn't use the bubble wrap on a regular basis because it's not necessarily food safe plastic, but it's a cool trick for a special cake.
 
Honey mochi cake assemble

After cooling, break the candy into pieces and arrange as desired. Drizzle your favorite honey all over the cake. I added golden gummy bears, or you can also decorate with candy/edible flowers. 

No comments: